Monday, April 20, 2009

So many pieces

I told him that I thought I’d be better off alone. He replied that we all feel that way sometimes. When life hits that switch on the blender and it all turns to puree. How much simpler it would be to offer my warm problems to loneliness.

Our paths were meant to cross. I know this now. And yet sometimes it still feels like an accident. That I could have missed him, by seconds. It makes me shiver. To think about how it all comes down to the little things. The tiny pieces that make up everything. How we take them for granted. Like sunshine and raindrops. Like plants and animals. Questions waiting so patiently for their answers.

It’s funny. How sometimes he just agrees with me. So easily. How he holds the key to every lock. And how other times he has to fumble and dig. The solution to the puzzle somewhere, if only he could remember where he put it. The frustration more about his inability to understand. Eventually he comes up empty. But it doesn’t matter. It’s only one piece.

And I have so many pieces for him to try again with.

No comments:

Post a Comment